Saturday 28 March 2009

Holidaying on Sentosa

We've been wanting to go for a holiday, and thought we'd start with a local trip and use it as a 'practice' trip since we've never travelled with Asher before. So Asher went for his first holiday across the great Sentosa causeway! Technically Asher's been on Sentosa before, but then, he was in my tummy :)

On 26 Mar, we set out for that long and arduous journey to Sentosa island. We checked in at the Amara resort, which on the surface looks really good, but the Devil's in the details isn't it? It's a little rough at the edges, and not quite perfectly put together. When we got to our room we found that there were obvious stains on the sofa, there were watermarks all over the toilet sink, and you can tell the room just isn't spotless - something I would expect at a place like Amara. I would also have appreciated if the doors leading to buildings and from lift-landings were automated. We found it difficult to move the stroller around cos of the doors. Even if it was just luggage, it'd be more functional if automated doors were in place.














As the room they gave us was on the ground floor and we wanted something higher, we asked if it was possible to change room. Just as well, for the next room they gave us on the 2nd floor was much cleaner (thought still not spotless), and tons more spacious! We had requested for a cot for Asher, and this second room gave us space to still walk around.









We had lunch at Shutters - Jon had a burger, while I indulged in the most expensive nasi lemak I've ever had. Around $18 for nasi lemak which came with cod fish marinated with lemongrass, grilled chicken marinated in curry spices, sambal prawns, achar, a fried egg and peanuts. It was an unusual and refined twist which I enjoyed, though you can give me regular nasi lemak any day and I'll be happy as well!

























After lunch we headed out for a walk around the hotel grounds, and came across two of the many peacocks on Sentosa. But the interesting sight for me were the baby peacocks! Here's a quiz: What are baby peacocks called? Peachicks!









Anyway, we were going to try out the ski lift and luge. The package deal we bought with Amara included breakfast, as well as a pair of tickets for the ski lift, the luge and the Song of the Sea show. Good deal huh? You only pay about $18 over the regular room price (excluding tax).

Since we were doing the touristy bit around Sentosa, I couldn't leave out taking a photo of our dear Merlion can I? I know there's been so much talk about the Merlion lately, and an article in the papers about how we should appreciate our icon more. But really, the Sentosa Merlion is ugly in the day, and downright hideous at night! If I were a kid I'd be so scared if I saw the Merlion at night.

Anyway, how is it that we have three Merlions? I thought the Merlion is supposed to be this special, unique creature? And don't national icons usually come alone? (One Eiffel Tower, one Statue of Liberty, one Big Ben...). We have one Merlion on Sentosa, one at One Fullerton (which got blasted with lightening), and a Merlion kia at the foot of the Fullerton Merlion. So...where did the baby Merlion come from? I thought Merlions were male? Hmmm....Adopted? But adopt from where? Ok, this is getting disturbing. But did you know, the Sentosa Merlion has a hole in its head as well - the observation deck! I only realised when I was on the ski lift. No wonder the Fullerton Merlion got zapped. It was trying to empathise fully with it's Sentosa counterpart. Ok, I should stop my random rambling.

Cos we had to watch Asher, we could only take the ski lift and luge separately. I went first, then Jon. The ski lift is fun, and is such a peaceful ride! I love being up in the air and above the trees! I could 'fly' like that all day! When you get near the peak you can look out over the sea and have a bird's eye view of the island. You can choose to either take the ski lift back down the hill, or take the luge. Most opt for the second choice, and I would have too, even without a free ticket. It's such fun! Like go-carting but downhill! WWWHHHEEEEEEEEE!!! Mini-F1 :) It was great to feel carefree! For that 10-15mins, it was just purely about having fun and being young :)


Can you see Jon waving? :)



















Before you head downhill they stamp your hand with his Luge logo. It's like going clubbing haha!






Having burned off some calories (yeah right), we went for a mid-afternoon snack of Or-Luat. The fruit was purely to remove some of the guilt of our Or-Luat indulgence :) We had heard from one of our friends that the Or-Luat at the seaside Kopitiam was good, so decided to try it out. It didn't disappoint, though at that price, it really shouldn't allow itself to disappoint.










We hung by the beach to watch sunset and then we tried to swop our 8.40pm Song of the Sea tickets for the 7.40pm show. The earlier show was fully booked up though, so we passed on the show cos we needed to put Asher to bed. Anyway, the tickets are valid for a few months, so we can always go back and watch the show another time :)






































Asher had fun bathing in a big bathtub for the first time :) It was good that he wasn't overwhelmed by it's size (I have read that some babies find it disconcerting to be in such a big tub). He also showed himself to be very adaptable. We carried out the usual bedtime routine, but this time since we were all in the same room, instead of total darkness we left some lights on, and even carried on with out own activities and chatted. Despite all that, he managed to fall asleep without fussing :) Good boy! *pat pat*

I had a good, long soak in the tub to just relax my tired limbs. Hey, taking care of a baby is tiring work 'kay! A soak in the tub has always been a treat for me. I remember when I was a kid I used to ask my Mum if I could have a bubble bath when I did well for my tests :) I guess not having a tub at home now makes baths more special too :)

The one thing that surprised us both, though, was that Asher doesn't sleep well in aircon rooms. We had thought that since the room was air-conditioned, Asher would sleep very soundly cos of the comfortable temperature. But he woke up many times cos he was thirsty! Actually it shouldn't be surprising to us cos Jon and I don't sleep that well in aircon rooms too! We both woke up several times just to get a drink of water ourselves! Asher is truly our son haha.

The next day was slow and easy. We had a relaxing breakfast - and I must commend the staff on their helpfulness. They saw that I was carrying Asher, so they took the initiative to ask what I wanted to eat, and carried to food to the table for me :) Great service!









After breakfast we went back to laze in the room for a little while before checking out :) All-in-all a successful first family holiday, and something we must do again soon! Real soon, cos we've already planned a Malacca trip! :O)

No comments: