Monday 30 March 2009

Cup to the Rescue!

Asher hates the bottle, he really does. He can cry and fuss for a whole hour before drinking from it most reluctantly. Then how? I won't be able to nurse him when I go back to work, but he needs to drink his milk.

Tan-tan-ta-raaa! Cup to the rescue!

I read that some people wean directly from breast to cup, and that infants from as young as 4 months can take to the cup. I thought I'd give that a try and save on weaning to the bottle, since eventually he's gotta drink from the cup! I started by letting him play with the cup as a toy a few times, then I tried letting him drink a few sips of water from it (some spillage), then let him drink abt 10ml of milk (spat out the first 2 times, but drank on the third sip). Seeing that it was going quite well, I decided to up the volume of milk to 40ml. I was hopeful but a little uncertain if he'd be able to drink so much from the cup. But hooray! He did! With no fuss! And with minimal spillage too! He even opened his mouth in anticipation when my mum brought the cup near! :)

Can he, will he, drink a full feed from the cup? We'll need to see how that goes!

No comments: