Sunday 15 February 2009

Valentine's @ Marina Barage

On a day when many (unmarried? haha) couples are busy getting ready for a fancy dinner at an expensive restaurant, Jon and I decided to go for an excursion to Marina Barage. I've been wanting to go there for weeks to see what it's like ever since it was open to the public!

Pity it was a super duper cloudy and hazy day, making the skyline was yellowed and muted. And it was surprisingly hot! Still, it was a nice place to stroll about. There were many families there, and groups of (single?) friends gathering to celebrate Valentines together. (Ok, I'm stereotyping, but I'm sure I'm right!)

We started with the Marina Bridge from where you can get good views of our city skyline. When the IR is completed it'll obscure some of the buildings behind it and the skyline will probably become more homogeneous on the left, given the IR's three imposing towers. When I was taking this skylne photo I was thinking that this'll be one of those photos that Asher will pick up one day and say, "Har, Mummy, you mean the IR was not standing when you were growing up?" Or, if I get into a nonstalgic mood I might say, "Asher, see, last time there was no IR and the skyline looked like this. Actually, not too long before that there was no Singapore Flyer too"


The rooftop field seems like a nice place to picnic if only there were more trees. Without them, it's a bit too hot to do so, at least in the afternoon. But you can go cool off in the fountain below. as some people were doing :) Looks fun! If I didn't have to feed Asher soon I'd probably have run in myself for fun :)









We missed the museum there cos we were starved and needed lunch. But we might pop back there some time to check it out, hopefully on a sunny day! And if Asher can walk, I'll bring him to the fountain too :)

No comments: