Saturday 10 November 2007

Regent's Park, Primrose Hill & Camden

The weather forecast for (last) Thursday indicated that it was going to rain. But it looked so sunny out the window, and I had already planned to go check out Primrose Hill. Plus there was one weather forecast website that just indicated a clear day (looking for reinforcing news? ;) )

So I took a chance, disregarded the weather forecast (but brought a brolly just in case), prayed that God would hold the rain, and went for a walk :) And it really paid off! Saw lots of things that day :)

Took a bus to Great Portland, and a peaceful walk through Regent's Park to get to Primrose Hill. Didn't really spend much time walking around Regent's Park cos I've walked there the last time I came to London. Primrose Hill was new to me, and I only came to know of it through Shan. It's not even mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide, even though it's only 2 streets north of the well known Regent's Park!

Anyway, the beautiful part about park walks this time of the year are the trees. The colours are so striking and warm, even if the wind is cold. I've never actually experienced autumn. When I went for the exchange programme in Chicago it was Spring term, which stretches over the end of winter and into spring. So I saw the bare trees become lush and green, and plants start to flower (which is also very beautiful). But I've not seen it the trees blush red, giving the parks that special glowing hue.










Anyway it was not to far to Primrose, just about a mile or so (Yes my sense of 'near' is getting further since we've been walking so much. Anyway the Londoner's sense of 'near' is also quite far I think). Primrose Hill is quite nondescript compared to Regent's Park. There are no pretty flower gardens, fountains, etc.

The only distinguishing feature is the hill in the centre of the park, from the top of which you can enjoy views over London! Quite an unexpected view because you don't (or I didn't) expect that small hill to be high enough to look over all the buildings and roofs! But its a pity that there are so many on-going construction projects in the city, rendering a less-than-beautiful city skyline. Also, everything was pretty far away. So I'd just say it was 'a find', not quite 'a spectacular find'.


The London skyline in the distance













London Eye! (Pity about the cranes...)













St Paul's Cathedral













Canary Wharf














An interesting tree. Notice the tree trunk has grown in a spiral! It was the only one in the park that was like that.

















Lunch at the top of Primrose Hill - leftovers from the night before, with what else...chilli padi!! :)










After Primrose Hill Park, I went to walk around the Primrose Hill town. It has a rather small town feel with cafes, bookshops, and boutiques lining the street. But it's definitely an upmarket small town. Boutiques were really ex...the kind where you see something and think, "hey this is pretty", then pick it up look at the crazy price in pounds, then put down again. When the shop assistent asks if you need help, you just smile and say "just browsing!" =)

Primrose Hill is supposed to be very popular with celebrities, with many of them buying houses in the area (e.g., Kate Moss, Sophie Ellis Baxter, etc). And guess what? I did see a celebrity! A well known one, known by kids and adults alike! In fact, he even waved and smiled at me from his house!!!!!!!! Who was he? See the pic below to find out!



Kermit!!!! :O)

















Path to Camden Lock














Part of Camden Lock












Anyway, I found a backstreet, canal-side path to Camden Lock! It was quite nice, I felt like a local walking the canal path. It was almost like a little-venice as the buildings lined the canal, and there were boats plying the route.

Camden Lock is a market with many shops selling antiques and other curiosities. I realise that I've actually wandered the place the last time I came to London, just that I missed out one little corner - the first bit that you come across when walking the canal path. The rest of Camden Lock market was familiar, and a bit like Chatuchak Market in Bangkok. I bet that many of the stuff available there can similarly be found in Chatuchak for a fraction of the price!

A lucrative business to import stuff from Thailand and sell them here! Or even stuff from Singapore! I saw some things that can be bought for about S$10-15 at home being sold for around 15-20 pounds! Idea... :P

A funny incident happened at Camden Lock. One of the girls who was running a stall told me that there was something in my hair, and I thought it was a leaf since I had walked through 2 parks in windy weather. Then I untied my hair and flipped out whatever it was. Then she said, "I think it was a worm"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHH!!! Good thing she didn't tell me before I got it out, but after!! I would probably have panicked and squashed it in my hair...eeeeeewwwwwwww... Just the thought.....eeewww...ok don't think... Anyway, because I thought it was a leaf and had got it out of my hair by the time she told me, I was a picture of calm when I found out it was a worm, and gladly squashed it on the floor (sorrryyy, no mercy here).

So anyway the day ended perfectly! I found that I had a direct bus home from the area, and guess what? Just as I was nearing my stop, it started to rain! ;) Thank God! He held up the rain until I got home :)

1 comment:

Christine said...

It's so enjoyable to read your blog! ^_^