Sunday 14 December 2008

When Silence Is Not Golden

One would think that silence is a great thing when you have a baby. And well, in certain circumstances that is true. Like, when you want your baby to sleep at night, or take a nap in the day (i.e., stop crying!).

But there are times when silence really isn't a good thing. Like, when you are changing Asher's diaper. He can cry and kick a fuss, but I've learnt that when he becomes quiet, it's really the calm before the storm. What happens next is usually me (or even himself) receiving a shower of blessing. It's happened more than once, and I've come to be wary of such silent spells which brings on this dilemma:

"Oh no, should I continue changing his diaper? Should I wait till he's peed?"

Only once or twice have I out-smarted his bodily functions, but I've been caught unawares many more times. After waiting for a decent amount of time to pass, thinking I'm safe and I can proceed with the diaper change, it'll be just then that he decides to spray me. Great.

Un-golden silence also occurs when he's lying on my lap. Like today. He was fidgeting about and making some noise, then he became calm, and I thought "oh yay!". Then I suddenly feel this warm sensation on my belly. I look down and what do I see? Number 2! The big one (only that for babies it's soft and goo-ey). Fantastic.

"Alright Asher, Mummy still loves you"

Diaper change. Pick Asher up. Put him back on lap for more play time. Then...I see something that makes me think of Britney Spears.

"Oops, I did it again"

Not me, Asher. He pooed again! And it leaked onto his socks, and narrowly missed me. Back to the changing table we go.

"Yes Asher dearie, Mummy still loves you"

Such has been his great love for me. He loves me so much he wants to mark me and have me for himself. I've been peed on, and pooped on at least 5 times in total :)

------

Anyway, another time when Silence is not golden is when we have guests over! We have discovered that our dear little boy likes noise! Whenever there are visitors and the chatter in the house goes up in volume, Asher actually sleeps more soundly!

So, like my aunt said, we should have more parties if I want him to sleep more.

Oops, the guests just left and my baby boy is starting to stir, right on cue.

Alrightie, till next time. Ta!!

No comments: