Wednesday 16 December 2009

Christmas Craft

Christmas is coming!

I really wanted to get a tree this year (as I did last year, and the year before that), but I didn't get around to it. There's been too many things going on! Jon's gone for his knee op, so he's on crutches for 6 weeks; and other stuff too.

So I decided that, like last year, I shall create a 'tree' to liven up our home this festive season. My brother had several years ago given me a short string of lights he bought from Thailand that came with little purple baubles that you could blow up and attach to the lights. I had never found a place to use them, but last year used the string of lights to create my 'tree'. I had wrapped the lights around my lamp-post, and put a teeny tiny tree (about 4-5 inches high that Jon and I had bought from IKEA long ago) on a stool next to the lamp. That was last year's 'tree'.

This year, I decided to make my 'tree' more tree-like. My raw materials were the same string of lights, the pack of purple baubles, the last little bit of aluminum foil, the box that the aluminum foil came in, the cardboard tube that aluminum foil was wrapped around, plus a scrap piece of ribbon. Oh, and to hold everything together - blu tack!


I took this photo after I was done, so not all my 'ingredients' are shown :)










The final result! I must say, I'm quite pleased with it!



















I gathered up all the presents we've received, and those I've wrapped for others, and put them under my 'tree' for this photo. Kept them all back under the table in the corner of our house again cos don't want Asher getting at the presents when he plays :) The 'tree' is in a prime spot!



With the lights on...



















...and the lights off!
















What do you think of my 'tree'? :) For one thing, it's definitely eco-friendly!! All material was readily available or reused/recycled scrap! Very much in line with the 'green' effort these days :)

9 comments:

Anyta said...

babe, thats is SO clever. i LOVE it!

selena said...

haha thanks! it was great fun doing it! :) btw, i've linked to your blog!

Jane said...

The tree is nice!!! Does Asher know how to switch on/off the lights yet? That can keep him occupied for a while ...

Sheela said...

that's lovely! :)

Delphine said...

Love the tree!! :D

joe said...

how much?
Maybe you could start a production line for 2010 holidays...HO HO HO

sharon said...

innovative! i'm impressed! hope some of the presents under the tree are for us?? :)

selena said...

Sheela: Thanks! Cheap and fun to do :)

Jane: No not yet. And the switch is in some corner behind a tall plant. Don't think I want him venturing there :)

Joe: My new Christmas side-line income!

Del: Thanks!

Sharon: Haha, if you can guess from the pic which gifts are for you guys we'll give them to you, otherwise, they're ours!!! :)

Anonymous said...

This is really quite the shizzy. Very creative!! And green!!