Saturday 18 September 2010

Loewen Garden's Farmers' Market

Who'd have thought there'd be a farmers' market in Singapore?  Thanks to my cousin, we've discovered a new spot to head to for breakfast "overseas".  Organised by The Pantry Cookery School, the Farmers' Market is held twice a month on Saturdays.  It's not quite the Borough Market that I love so much, but it's as good as it gets in Singapore I guess! 


There are stalls selling French Provencal produce, Spanish jamon & paella, Cornish pasties (I never thought I'd find them in Singapore!), artisan breads, UK beers & ciders (if I weren't preggers I'd prob pick up a pear cider!), pretty cupcakes, jams & spreads, and tapas-y olives, stuffed tomatoes, and artichoke hearts which I love!

You get the feel of being overseas, but you also pay as if you were overseas.  Things aren't cheap.  But since we were there to enjoy ourselves and the experience, we just closed one eye :)  

 The stall by Little Provence which imports foodstuff from that area in France.  The tapenades looked great, and I had difficulty choosing just one to buy home.  Will probably go back again sometime to buy home another flavour (or two, or three) :)  The one I got - green olives with sun-dried tomatoes - was heavenly!

 The 'rib-stickers'!  Didn't get one that day cos wanted space to try other things :)

Too pretty to eat!


A rare sight here

We bought a box of paella to try, and it was not bad, though I think I've tried better.

Yum yum yum
 

Bacon butty.  Can anything with bacon go wrong?

There's also a little shop called The Childrens Showcase that sold many pretty and unique things.  Not seen many of these products anywhere else, which arguably makes the price-tag worth it.  Lots of colourful melamine ware too (Jane!!  Are you still looking for them?).  I picked up 2 pairs of kid's chopsticks, and a giant bubble maker - which Asher currently enjoys playing with in a non-bubble-making way (more on this in a next post) :)



If I had a daughter, I think I'd be sooooo tempted to buy this!
 

I particularly liked that the place was very kid friendly.  There were many play areas and play things available - blocks, bead-chasers, riding toys, wire jeeps for pushing around, and a proper playground.  Asher made a new friend there too, a sweet older girl called Chloe.  She took a liking to him, and helped him climb up climbing frames, up the ladder to the slide (which is high and very fun!), and even slid down with him in tandem several times.  And Asher looked so happy, heh.   


Two very sticky children :)

 My breakfast the next morning - organic bread, tapenade, artichoke hearts, and sardines.  What a great way to start the day!


2 comments:

Jane said...

Oooo nice cups/plates. I certainly could do with more of them ... Such an interesting place to check out! And a full playground. Hmm, will let Kok Loon know. Sounds like a good Saturday breakfast venue.

selena said...

We haven't actually tried their regular breakfast offerings, but the farmer's market will be fun for the kids I think. Esp the playground!