Saturday 23 January 2010

Kaiho Sushi

Jon brought me to a new Jap restaurant, Kaiho Sushi, to try their blowtorch sushi. It's located on the 3rd floor of the dodgy looking Cuppage Plaza, which has several other good Jap restaurants as well. He had gone there for an office function and came back raving about the food. So we trotted over there for lunch with Asher in tow. Asher busied himself with the wooden chopsticks, using them to like drumsticks on the table. I had also brought a generous stash of biscuits which I slowly drew down on to keep him satisfied while we ate.

MMMMM.......Jon was not kidding when he said the sushi was good. It was wonderful! The fish was fresh and succulent, the flavours were subtle yet rich. We each had a sushi set, which came with what you see below, miso soup, excellent chawanmushi, and a very good tamago.

I was happy to see uni (sea urchin) on the plate as it was something I tried for the first time a few months ago and was keen to have again. I love it's fresh taste. Salty...slightly sweetish, tangy...it actually just tastes like the sea! Because of it's mushy texture and unusual flavour, I guess it's somewhat of an acquired taste - one of those love or hate things.
The rest of the plate was fantastic as well and I was extrememly satisfied with the meal! Kudos to Chef Bernard Tang for this wonderful cooking!
It was an ideal Saturday lunch, and we left knowing we'd be heading back again soon.

No comments: