Wednesday 20 January 2010

The Boy in The Hat Part II

This was Asher's Christmas hat escapade, but here's another unexpected one!

He may have heard several Michael Jackson songs, but I really don't think he's seen a picture of MJ. Nevertheless seems to know of the MJ-style :)

Asher picked up the plastic container which he normally pretends is a steering wheel, and decided today that it was a hat! We find that with Asher, we're always asking ourselves, "Why bother buying toys?" :)












That's something I've been noticing lately - he's able to generalise and extend his knowledge of something to other objects. Anything round became a steering wheel (this container, a coaster). Then later on, anything at all could be a steering wheel (a square container cover, a toy chair even!). A ball can become an apple (he'd pretend to eat it), and he can 'eat' the pictures from his books ('grab' the picture and 'eat' it, very cute to watch) :)

I think this is something I appreciate, cos I often feel that the newer toys sometimes limit children in that it dictates to them what this or that button must do, the keys of the piano must play a tune instead of just a note (this one I really don't get), etc. I like the toys that leave room for imagination, and everyday home objects fall into this category :) I've noticed Asher seems to prefer (maybe cos that's what he's mainly been supplied with), toys that allow him to decide how he wants to employ it, instead of being rigid in its use.

Having said that, some commercial toys are really good. Case in point, the evergreen, and always wonderful LEGO! I remember spending hours playing with those when I was younger. Am super keen to get Asher started on Duplo sometime, and eventually move on to Lego when he's older. All in good time :)

No comments: