Monday 17 March 2008

Dark Materials

I actually read this series of books last November. Philip Pullman's Northern Lights , The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass make up the Dark Materials series.

I really enjoyed these books. They are engrossing reads, and I found that once I started I couldn't stop! It's been a long time since I read a book that manages to keep up the tension throughout the entire story, which makes you turn the pages faster and faster! I thought it was very imaginative - the characters, the plot, the setting were all very original. I recommend these books if you're looking for a good, adventure-filled read.

I know there are controversies regarding his apparent anti-Christian stance. But as I was reading the books, I didn't think he was criticising Christianity per se, but rather he was against institutionalised religion in general. Not that the organisation of religion is bad in and of itself, but it appears he is against the way religion can sometimes be practiced, e.g., if one has a legalistic approach. Although some reviews and commentaries, and even Pullman himself, say that his books are about killing God, the Authority who supposedly represents God, is clearly described in the books as not God himself! That seems to me an important and telling distinction! Pullman described the Authority as being an angel that has posed as God, but is not God, and that there separately does exist a Creator God! In fact, God himself doesn't really make an appearance in the book, and the issues circle around the Authority and Metatron (another angel). The whole set-up doesn't quite seem to reflect Christianity, but rather is an obviously fictional religious order.

While I can see how people may say the books are anti-Christian, I personally didn't get that feel when I read the books. I think the books are good for the storyline itself. Even if he does try to throw in some subversive ideas, it seems that overall, the books just come off as a good series of fiction. If a comparison has to be made, I think the Da Vinci Code is probably more controversial since it mixes falsehoods and truths in an indistinguishable manner.

Anyway, since reading the book it's been fun seeing Oxford, where some parts of the book are set, chasing the Northern Lights in Iceland, and seeing the boat houses in Amsterdam. Not that I intentionally chose to go to these places because of the book! I have independently always wanted to visit these places/see these things, and it was just interesting to have this story to tie them together :)

No comments: