Friday 11 January 2008

Playing With Food

I've been experimenting with new stuff in the kitchen this past week :)

Made sushi over the weekend! And I've new respect for sushi makers...it's not that easy to make a nice sushi roll! On my first attempt, the rice was not compacted enough and it was falling out when trying to dip it into the soy sauce, haha. It's a different technique from rolling popiah! When I tried the popiah way, the ingrediants were not centred in the middle. Eventually I found a way to roll the rice tightly and centre the ingredients :) But no photo of that cos I was so pleased with it I just gobbled it down haha! :) But I'm still far far away from perfecting the technique! This photo is of the second or third roll I think. Anyway, making sushi is really fun, and not that difficult to prepare :) Think when we get back to Singapore, we could hold a sushi party!










Next experiment was to make Char Siew! The last time we went to Kitty's house to play the Wii, Kitty's mum made some realllyyy yummy Char Siew. As I asked for the recipe, Kitty's mum gave me a bottle of Char Siew marinade! So I eagerly brought the bottle of marinade with me to UK, and have finally had a go at the recipe! Here's the final product! Quite yummy, if I may say so myself. But I think Kitty's mum's one it still better. More practice required!!



















Tempura (or rather, mini-tempura) was the next challenge. Er..the initial bits weren't so tempura looking. But after playing around with the batter, I found a way to coat the seafood better :) As you can see from this pictorial comparison, the piece on the left was hardly coated, while the piece on the right looks more correct. You'll have to cut me some slack on this one cos the instructions on how to use the flour were completely in Jap! So I just tried to follow the pictures, which according to my interpretation said "flour + water, then stir together. Fry". Didn't say anything abt the coating process :) Maybe the words actually say how to do it properly, heh :)





















For lunch today I made pork loin, with a fusion style sausage, beansprouts, carrots, and capsicum stir-fry salad. Don't wrinkle your nose! It tastes nice! :)










And finally for dinner today, I made a pork and olive pasta in cream and tomato sauce! I think this is quite yummy too, and easy to make! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah you've really become a "zhu fan po"... hehee. Just to share some tips... put a little white vinegar to the sushi rice so it'll be a little stickier, then will be easier to roll. Actually you also need to hv a special rolling mat. As for char siew, get "wu hua rou" (read in Mandarin). Keep it up! :)

selena said...

thanks for the tips! ya we didn't have a sushi rolling mat, so had to improvise with a sheet of plastic :)

Sheela said...

OK, next time we meet up, you're totally going to do the cooking! This all looks wonderful... :)