Monday 18 October 2010

Drama

An unexpected development on the home front.  We sent our helper home.  Our instincts proved right.  Won't go into the details here, but suffice to say it was definitely a right decision and we're glad Asher's safe and the house is intact.  It all happened in the span of an afternoon.  So we suddenly found ourselves without help for cooking and other household chores - her areas of responsibility.

Though there's more work to do now that she's gone, the vibe of the house feels better, and I'm feeling happier, even though more tired.  So far even though I still bring Asher for outings, I've managed to cook dinner still, both Asher's and ours, and we're managing to keep up with laundry and the house feels decently clean.  It takes a bit more planning and effort, but so far we're ok.  I usually clean the house after Asher sleeps.  Cooking time involves Asher.  He helps to wash the rice, scoop seeds out from the papayas, etc.  When he can't help directly, he gets to 'mix flour' with empty containers, and 'chop fruit' on a chopping board.  Laundry time also includes Asher.  He enthusiastically helps put the laundry into the machine, and helps to transport the clean, dry clothes to our bed for folding.  Found it adorable seeing him run to and fro the kitchen and bedroom carrying little piles of clothing :)  Think this is healthy for him, but I do wonder if and when the novelty will wear out for all of us. 

We have inevitably had to tweak one house rule - no entering the kitchen.  Since I now have to be in there preparing food and cooking, I can't possibly keep an eye on him when he's running around the living room.  So he joins me in the kichen, either munching on snacks or helping out. 

He does get a bit upset when I can't play with him immediately cos I need to clean up a bit, but I hope he'll get used to it, and I hope I can come up with an even more efficient way of handling things so that such times are minimised. 

The past few days have been challenging, but not unpleasant.  Jon's overseas for a few days, so it's just me and Asher.  Thank goodness his trip straddles the weekend, so I could take a bit of a breather from things cos we usually visit Jon's Dad and my parents.  Even then, I had to head home on Saturday while Asher was napping to clean up the house (I just can't stand a dusty house!).

Not sure what the plan is for when Baby number 2 comes, but in the meantime we're looking around for a part-time cleaner who can also help with ironing (I hate ironing!!!) and perhaps a tingkat service for some of the days.  Of course if all else fails, we could always do what we used to do before we had kids - get food from the market. 

Please pray for energy, strength, ingenuity, and lots of patience!!

No comments: